Celebrating 50 Years of AONE
Celebrating 50 Years of AONE
In 1967, a collection of nurse administrators from the American Hospital Association (AHA) Council of Nursing organized themselves into a personal membership group with a mission to create a professional home for nurse leaders. Today, the American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE) is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
AONE provides leadership, professional development, advocacy and research to advance nursing practice and patient care, promote nursing leadership excellence and shape public policy for health care nationwide. AONE is still a subsidiary of the American Hospital Association.
Fifty years later, AONE is the preeminent organization for nurse leaders. Echoing the founders’ aims to develop the profession of nursing leadership, today the organization represents nearly 10,000 members from across the health care spectrum.
Reflections on AONE
AONE's mission is to shape health care through innovative and expert nursing leadership. It's vision statement is: "Global Nursing Leadership—One Voice Advancing Health."
AONE provides nurse leader education programs for executives, directors, managers, and clinical leaders. Topics range from health care finance, CENP and CNML review courses, shared governance, and emerging leader competencies. AONE's annual meeting has over 50 concurrent sessions as well as multiple nationally known keynote speakers. Continuing education credits are available for most AONE programs.
AONE serves its members by:
- Offering information that supports and enhances the management, leadership, educational, and professional development of nurse leaders.
- Providing vision and actions for nursing leadership to meet the health care needs of society.
- Influencing legislation and public policy related to nursing and patient care issues.
- Facilitating and supporting research and development efforts that advance nursing administration practice and quality patient care.
In collaboration with the AHA, AONE ensures the perspective and needs of nurse leaders are heard and addressed in public policy issues related to nursing and patient care. Advocacy activities include the federal legislative and regulatory arenas, as well as promoting the value of nursing leadership and its invaluable contribution to the greater health care team in pursuit of quality patient care.
AONE develops guiding principles, tool kits, position statements, and articles on all topics effecting nurse leaders.
Some of AONE's key initiatives include:
- Center for Care Innovation and Transformation (CCIT). AONE continues the work of Transforming Care at the Bedside (TCAB) with the new CCIT program. The program serves as a resource for nurse leaders seeking to transform not only the way they care for patients, but also the culture in which they find themselves working, so that innovation and transformation become a daily pattern.
- AONE Foundation for Nursing Leadership Research . The AONE Foundation was established in 2010 to support the research of AONE. Activities and programs include annual seed grants to fund nursing research projects and honoring nurse executives and researchers for their work to advance the field of nursing leadership.
- AONE Certification. The AONE Credentialing Center offers two certifications: Certified in Executive Nursing Practice (CENP) and Certified Nurse Manager and Leader (CNML). The CENP is geared to nurse leaders who are engaged in executive nursing practice. The CNML, offered in partnership with the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), is developed for nurse leaders in the nurse manager role.
- Academic Progression in Nursing (APIN). AONE serves as the national program office for APIN, a grant initiative of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, in partnership with the Tri-Council. APIN collaborates with state Action Coalitions and their partners to accelerate implementation of promising practice that will help states achieve the goal of seamless academic progression and increasing the number of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020.
Be a Part of It
As AONE celebrates this milestone 50th year, they are gathering and telling the stories of current and past members. Follow this link to share your story of how AONE has helped you address specific situations in your career: https://www.research.net/r/C9Q9KYT. Selected reflections will be published throughout AONE’s 50th anniversary in 2017.
The questions in the survey offer a window to reflect on who you are as a leader and on your passion for nursing leadership and AONE. Please reflect on the times you turned to AONE members and the organization for help in fulfilling your role and achieving your professional desires.
Follow @tweetAONE for #AONE50th trivia questions. Every Tuesday AONE will tweet a trivia question that relates to its 50th Anniversary.
The first person to give the correct answer will be mentioned when AONE reveals the answer on #ThrowbackThursday.
Join AONE in celebrating its golden anniversary throughout 2017! We look forward to seeing you next week at the AONE 2017 Annual Conference in Baltimore. Don’t forget to stop by and visit Lippincott Solutions in booth #707!
- 2017 (32)
- 2016 (99)
- 2015 (103)
- 2014 (54)
Most Popular Posts